LENGTH OF LESSON : The lengths of lessons are at the discretion of the teachers. He/she may choose which of these topics are more useful to fulfill his/her learning objectives. In fact the teacher can use all or just some of the festivals considered in this unit. Anyway each chapter could be used for one lesson of 50 minutes, therefore the total time required to conclude the complete unit is 7 lessons (50 minutes each).
LEARNING OBJECTIVES :
By the end of the present teaching unit, the student will be able to:
- describe and give examples of some UK and USA main festivals.
- be aware of different culture traditions
- interact with different cultures
- be aware of foreign countries different traditions
- learn some new English words, thus improve vocabulary in English as a foreign language
- improve students' language skills by surfing in the net and visit foreign languages sites
- present the life style of another culture.
After the lesson, students should develop the following skills:
- Communication as a mean to express opinions and ideas;
- Search information about British and American Festivals on the Internet.
Personal and Social Values/Attitudes
After the lesson, students should be able to develop the following values and attitudes:
- respect of different culture;
- awareness about different traditions existence and possible reappraisal of their own tradition compared to the foreign ones.
Plenary reading of the texts or silent reading.
Individual work or pair work in doing exercises.
Plenary correction of the proposed activities.
Each chapter has a comprehension test which could also be used as an assessment test.