LESSON PLAN: TIME IN ART
LENGTH OF LESSON: about 7 hours
GRADE LEVEL: MORE THAN 19 YEARS OLD
SUBJECT AREA: HISTORY OF ART
This work shows different ways to represent the idea of time in European painting (and decorative arts) from Middle Ages till nowadays [E & F] . The utility of these lessons should be to let people know a little part of European culture, hoping it will be useful, in particular for people living in other continents, to think about differences between foreign countries' modality to reflect on important themes of life and their own ways, comparing them and, last but not least, considering every different culture in its particularity and its richness.
Students will understand the following:
- It is possible in Art to have more than an interpretation of a theme: every part of this work, indicated in the map, is a different one.
- It's usual for an artistic image to have more than one meaning, so we have to learn understanding symbols.
- Some themes, like the reflection about time and life, are present almost in all the historical periods.
- It's important, in History of Art, to learn a correct way to describe paintings, sculpture or other objects, beginning from what we can see and continuing collocating the image in a correct way from the historical and social point of view.
Some of the websites linked to this work are museum websites: it's important to visit and use them to know big and famous museums and to become confident with them, with artists, their lives and their masterpieces.
- It's important to experience Art, reading about artists and Art objects, to learn that everyone has the responsability, in his own country, to preserve and hand down his culture for the future generations.